Day #1 of Chemo √

I had a good amount of understandable anxiety as I drove to my first day of Chemo.  However, having been covered in beautiful prayer the night before by my family, hundreds of devoted friends committing lots and lots of prayers over me, and armed with the knowledge that this would be the first day of FINALLY being able to fight the cancer with treatment, I felt relief along with the anxiety.

Driving to Chemo.

I had the first group of my wonderful entourage with me…My amazing husband Greg, my sister Marcia, my mom and my daughter Sarah by my side, my devoted warriors, all I had to to sit back and let them team with the doctors to take care of me. (Today was Day #1 of a two consecutive treatment.  This time only, the chemo is two days. In future treatments, all the chemo will take place in one day segments.)

We met with my oncologist Dr. Eng-Gal before the infusion started, and she reported great news to me.  My PET scan is clear, which means the cancer is only in the right breast, my heart is very strong and my blood panel is also excellent.  Of course, this emboldened me even more that I should do really well with the treatment.

Not such a scary place, afterall!

The day went without a hitch.  I started about 10:30 and was done a little after 4:00.  Because my gang was REALLY pushing the fluids, I had to bring my IV pole into the bathroom  about 87 times…ok I’m exaggerating just a bit, but it really was about every 30 minutes.  I now appreciate the ease of going to the restroom without an IV pole to navigate!  hahaha.

The infusion center only had enough room for me to have one guest at a time, so my gang rotated in.  Because Benadryl was part of my IV cocktail, I easily fell asleep, and never quite knew who would be sitting next to me when I awoke!  Surprise! Another loved one is here!

A highlight of my day was when my Sarah read to me.  Being one-armed and a little groggy, having my daughter read to me was so soothing to my soul!

sarah reading

Before I knew it, the day was over and I was free to go!

Marcia celebrating freedom with me!

It definitely felt like a little victory to be able to walk outside, into the sunshine, and see the rest of the world busy doing life… life does goes on!

After returning home and having a little anti-nausea medicine, a short walk with my sister and my mom, I settled into rest for the rest of the day.  I took another anti-nausea med that made me a bit loopy, so even when Mike and Val brought dinner for the rest of us, I was in my own little sleepy world.  Mike went back to work (or so I heard, I don’t remember so much) and the rest put me to bed!

Even Dallas is in on the act of caring for me.

I had a restful sleep.  I feel great and ready to face Day #2 of my first Chemo treatment.

A special thank you to all of my lovely family and friends who are praying for me!  I cannot begin to express how covered and peaceful and optimistic I feel as a result of your prayers. Thank you doesn’t even begin to convey the depth of what this means to me!  I love you all with all of my heart.

Phillippians 4: 6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

3 thoughts on “Day #1 of Chemo √”

  1. GOODBYE Cancer! Praises for you letting God’s light shine through you as you face this battle. You are a mighty warrior Sandy and loved by so many. Praying you keep feeling God’s loving arms around you and the peace only He can provide as your cancer disappears. Love you, Sheryl

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s